Info@click2odisha.Com

BHADRAK DISTRICT


Bhadrak subdivision of the undivided Balasore district became a new district on 1st April ’1993. Vide Government in Revenue Department Notification No. DRC-44/93.14218/R dated 27th March 1993.

History

Bhadrak is an ancient land noted in legends dating from the age of the puranas, contributing to Orissa’s maritime & agrarian prosperity, trade and commerce down the ages and recorded in History. Since the inception of Abul Fazal’s Ain-e-Akabari. The ancientry of this land is eloquently testified by the gigantic tank of Asura, the Buddhist relics of the Seventh and Eight Centuries discovered in Khadipada and Solampur, the villages of Dhamnagar, the Budddist caves in Sarisua Hill near Kupari and the mysterious temple of Biranchi Narayan in the village Palia, a parallel to the Sun Temple at Konark. The last battle to vindicate the freedom of Orissa was fought in a village called Gohiratikiri, on the bank of the river Genguti near Dhamnagar in 1568 in which the defeated king Mukunda Dev lost his life. In 1575 the Muslim population settled down in Bhadrak following the discomfiture of the Afgans under Usman at the hand of Raja Mansingh. In Mughal period Bhadrak remained a subah under the Nawabs of Bengal. When the imperial powers of the Mughals waned, the zone consisted of some principalities like Kanika, Ampo and Agarapada with a few administrative sub-units called Chowparhies such as Kubera, Talapada, Nadigaon, Kasimpur, Kurigaon, Bindha etc., all ruled by Kshatriya Chiefs with patriotic temper.

After the British occupation of Orissa, Cuttack and Balasore constituted one of the two administrative divisions, in June 1804. In 1828 when Balasore was made a separate District, Bhadrak become one of its Sub-Division with an Assistant Magistrate cum Deputy Collector as the Sub-Divisional Head, while the Munsif Court remained in Jajpur until 1901.

In the historic Quit India Movement of 1942 Bhadrak played a leading role. It was under the leadership of Muralidhar Panda that on the 22nd Sept.1942 at Lunia, Katasahi the movement flared up to immortal flame with Nidhi Mohalik and eight others laying down their lives at the altar of freedom. Fittingly the place has been hallowed as Sahidnagar. At Eram on the 28th Sept. 1942 in an enclosed place like jalianawal Bagh nearly forty persons bared their chests to British Bullets for the cause of freedom. The congregated leadership, which guided the quit India Movement, constitutes many luminous figures including Dr.Harekrushna Mohatab, Md. Hanif, Muralidhar Jena, Gokulananda Mohanty, Nilamani Routray and others.

 

How to reach there?

 

Airways:Bhubaneswar is the only way of communication for airways. But, it is nearer from Bhadrak and good number of buses, taxies and railway facilities are available.

Railways:Total Bhadrak district is having six number of stations with 28 kilometers of railway route.

Roadways:The National Highway No: 5 have run 40 km. within this district. This NH is known as the major communication system connecting with Bhubaneswar (the State Capital), Cuttack, Jajpur, Balasore and Mayurbhanj. Other state highways as well as local facilities are also available for travel.